Tuesday, June 26, 2012

BREN KOCH - 2012 AFTM Youth Scholarship Winner


O.J. Laier & Bren Koch
My name is Bren Koch. I am 18 and have been playing banjo for 4 years. I started playing the banjo the summer before I started high school.  I started  taking lessons from OJ Laier. I fell in love with the instrument and have hardly had it out of my hands since. OJ has been a huge influence on me musically and all around. It was him that introduced me into the wonderful old-time  folk community in Austin  and the AFTM. I graduated this year from McCallum High School and will be attending Texas State in San Marcos this Fall. I'm majoring in Sound Recording Technology and minoring in piano performance, but my true love will always be the banjo (sadly they don't have a banjo department at TX State, believe me I asked). I am very excited to be attending Swannanoa Gathering this July. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I'm sure it will be a great opportunity to grow as a musician and further immerse myself in old-time music.

No comments:

Post a Comment